Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Departure and a Return

   "Here was peace. She pulled in her horizon like a great fish-net. Pulled it from around the waist of the
    world and draped it over her shoulder. So much of life in its meshes! She called in her soul to come
    and see."    Zora Neale Hurston  -Their Eyes Were Watching God

  On January 8th, 2011 I left on my first "official" trip of my year of travel. Since I devised the adventure of Runaway Marie in Los Angeles, I thought it appropriate to make the city stop number one. 
  Whenever I travel I always have some sort of expectation for what the trip will hold. Somewhere in the back of my mind I guess I thought that departing on this journey was like a train leaving the station. My past behind me, I set out to discover the big, wide world. Some newness I have never known.  I was completely blindsided by what actually happened. 
  Los Angeles is one of those places that people have a definite idea about, and like black licorice, they either love it or hate it. From most everyone's expressed opinions, the city has awful traffic, even worse smog, and the citizens of the city are superficial. And I suppose depending on one's vantage point, those things are all true. But what I discovered was place flooded with dreamers. This is where the movies are made, where all things are possible, even if only in pictures. It seemed that everyone I spoke with carried this hope with them for something bigger out of life. Dare I say childlike faith. For some, Los Angeles is the city of broken dreams, but for me, it was the city of angels. 
  Never have I encountered so many people who are willing to drive straight for the heart in conversation. Even though I spent time enjoying the city's beaches, canyons, museums, and amazing food, the thing that will stick with me were all the words spoken. I am so grateful to have connected with so many old friends, one who I have not seen in twelve years, with whom time and distance did not diminish a thing. 
  It's difficult to find words for this blog to express something that took place in my soul, so I won't say much. But what I can say is that in this "departure" I was overwhelmed with a sense of returning. I think I had forgotten myself for a very long time, which was the true departure. And it took a bunch of people from my past to remind me that once I used to live like a dreamer....and I had really big dreams! This was the surprise. That maybe Runaway Marie is actually about coming home.

LACMA
  Special thanks to Brooke, Marion, Eric, Jonathan, Ryan, Deanna, and Jamal. Much food and many words were shared!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment